Re: about commit "vxs.inc: Integrate the CPAN version of version_new"

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
January 5, 2014 00:59
Re: about commit "vxs.inc: Integrate the CPAN version of version_new"
Message ID:
20140105005927.15174.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Daniel Dragan wrote:
> I'm not sure that is a "No behaviour changes". Comments anyone?

Aha, so you have noticed a disparity between the two codebases that
I missed.  (This is precisely why I did this whole vxs.inc thing to
begin with, to try to avoid this type of disparity in future.)

The core use of 0 (where the CPAN release had undef) goes back to
v5.11.4-9-gbe5574c:

commit be5574c0ea0db2b49042f8ad61e8d863b126a906
Author: David Golden <dagolden@cpan.org>
Date:   Thu Jan 21 12:18:11 2010 -0500

    initialize undefined version objects with zero, not 'undef'

I have just found this thread:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=5d4beb41001171628h56d1e1e3t979dce3f67e2ccd6@mail.gmail.com

See, in particular:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=4B55BDD0.5030305@havurah-software.org

It makes no difference whether the string here is "undef" or "0",
since the version-parsing routines produce equivalent version objects
either way.

So I will leave it up to John Peacock to decide whether the CPAN ver-
sion should change (and then core will pick it up with the next vxs.inc
synch).  I think the "0" would be marginally more efficient.