develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2013

[perl #114512] Predictable tmp file names can cause build to fail

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
December 15, 2013 15:54
Subject:
[perl #114512] Predictable tmp file names can cause build to fail
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-28284-1387122842-555.114512-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Aug 20 04:03:24 2012, perlbug@ryandesign.com wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from perlbug@ryandesign.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.39 running under perl 5.16.0.

[snip]

> clang: error: unable to make temporary file: /tmp/B: can't make unique
> filename: Permission denied
> clang: error: unable to make temporary file: /tmp/B: can't make unique
> filename: Permission denied
> make[1]: *** [B.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `ext/B'
> Unsuccessful make(ext/B): code=512 at make_ext.pl line 466.
> make: *** [lib/auto/B/B.bundle] Error 25
>
> The perl build should not be trying to create temporary files of such
> predictable and collidable names. Solving this problem is what
> utilities like mktemp(1) are for.

Father C reported that he believes this to be a clang problem.  TonyC could not reproduce the error.  There has been no further correspondence in this RT in over a year.

I am taking it for the purpose of closing it within 7 days unless someone wishes to take it over and move the discussion forward.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open