develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2013

[perl #115904] miniperl creates 8gb output under shell redirection

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
December 14, 2013 21:25
Subject:
[perl #115904] miniperl creates 8gb output under shell redirection
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-27372-1387056305-1697.115904-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Nov 27 06:44:11 2012, Mithaldu wrote:
> Alright, after a lengthy session of looking at things with bulk88,
> another aspect of the problem is now clear:
>
> I compiled perl on Win7-64, using the MinGW included in 32 bit Perl
> distros. Due to the OS, the makefile decides to use 64 bit header files,
> but due to the compiler the resulting binary is actually a 32 bit binary,
> using 64 bit configuration values.
>
> The -v/-V output of miniperl demonstrates this: https://
> gist.github.com/7673e573f642a7896d70 and analysis of the PE headers
> supports it.
>
> At first blush one could think that this means the correct solution is to
> use a 64 bit compiler instead. I have started a smoke of blead with a 64
> bit MinGW (gcc version 4.5.4 (rubenvb-4.5.4)) and its miniperl does not
> exhibit the problematic 8 gb behavior. However now it just doesn't output
> anything anymore. The command mentioned in the first message of this bug
> results in the file "log" being 0 bytes long.

Mithaldu, bulk88:  Would it be possible to get an update on the status of this ticket?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open