develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2013

[perl #115688] padrange optimization makes incorrect opcode assumptions

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
December 14, 2013 00:38
Subject:
[perl #115688] padrange optimization makes incorrect opcode assumptions
Message ID:
rt-4.0.18-23414-1386981500-1202.115688-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Nov 13 04:22:11 2012, davem wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 05:28:12PM +0100, Lukas Mai wrote:
> > But I've just realized your explanation of my (0 ? $x : $y) as my
> > $x; my ($y); isn't quite right:
>
> I never said that. I said that
>
>     my (0 ? $x : $y) = expr;
>
> was *roughly* equivalent to
>
>     my ($x, $y);
>     ($y) = expr;
>
> i.e. I was was trying to separate out the compile-time effect of allocating
> pad slots (allocated for both $x, $y, masking any outer $x or $y),
> verses the runtime effect, where only $y and not $x gets assigned to. Of
> course, the run-time effect of doing a SAVECLEARCV on $x gets skipped too.

Dave, Father C, mauke:  Could we get an update on the status of this ticket?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open