develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2013

RE: Resurrected RFC: Handling utf8 locales

From:
Paul Marquess
Date:
December 11, 2013 23:45
RE: Resurrected RFC: Handling utf8 locales
Message ID:
003701cef6cb$00b63c20$0222b460$@btinternet.com
> From: Karl Williamson [mailto:public@khwilliamson.com]
>
> On 12/11/2013 05:26 AM, Paul Marquess wrote:
> > If I'm reading the proposal correctly it covers the contents of files
> > only and does not include the encoding applied to filenames on a
filesystem?

> > Paul
>
> Correct.  I believe the filesystem issues are a much more intractable
problem.  Ideas welcome.

Yep, unfortunately that's my understanding as well.

Makes it very difficult to automagically do the right thing when you need to
know if the filesystem uses utf8 (or any other encoding for that matter).

Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Paul