develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2013

Re: Option to use and create "unique" library names

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
December 2, 2013 11:39
Re: Option to use and create "unique" library names
Message ID:
CAHhgV8h2Oj=5L6sGNQVZ3U-v5oAdA9NawwudGj=D0y_gBFyvkA@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Brian Fraser <fraserbn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, we were discussing exactly that on irc yesterday. Overriding
> _do_link is dodgy though, since it causes tests to fail, and means that
> $b->link(lib_file => $b->lib_file($object)) ne $b->link().
> I think that I have the least worst solution, though. We can have
> ->lib_file() accept an optional module_name parameter, and if that's
> defined, we can use mod2fname there. Only two modules on CPAN use lib_file
> directly, and only one would need changing, and the change is fully
> backwards compatible, so I think it might be the way to go.

It makes sense from a backwards compatabilty POV, though a module_name
method might be better for the future.

> With that change, all tests pass on linux with d_libname_unique defined;
> since the commits also remove the handling of mod2fname in the
> platform-specific files, this will need smoking on VMS (and OS2, I guess,
> but that's unlikely)
>
> Proposed changes are now on
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/hugmeir/d_libname_unique

Some details of the Module::Build patch need some tweaking, but that does
look almost ready to apply :-).

Leon