develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2013

Re: Option to use and create "unique" library names

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
November 20, 2013 09:09
Re: Option to use and create "unique" library names
Message ID:
20131120100925.358cb2ef@pc09.procura.nl
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 03:41:55 -0200, Brian Fraser <fraserbn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Background:
> Android's linker has some bugg^Wunusual behavior, in that it caches loaded
> libraries, but only uses the basename in the cache.  That means that,
> as far as its dlopen() is concerned, the libraries for Hash::Util and
> List::Util,
> both of which are named Util.so, are the same.
>
> What we did in the android branch was introduce an option, d_libname_unique,
> that when defined, has Makemaker create an "unique" libname for each module,
> and teaches XSLoader and Dynaloader to look for those; So for example,
> Hash/Util/Util.so becomes Hash/Util/Perl_Hash_Util.so.
>
> The changes for this are in
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/hugmeir/d_libname_uniqueand
> can be tested by compiling perl with -Dd_libname_unique.

The change is by far complete, as it is missing
• documentation in Porting/Glossaary
• documentation in config_h.SH (might not be required in this case)
• entries in Porting/config*
• entry in uconfig.h

run Porting/checkcfgvar.pl

> Any objections to this going in?

Not when all other issues are resolved :)

using perl5.00307 .. 5.19   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE