RT and attachments (was Documentation Patches)

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
October 31, 2013 15:10
Subject:
RT and attachments (was Documentation Patches)
Message ID:
CA+vYcVxQZvVt22yZOegL+6j3b0CWOwF7qe0ZnP1B9tQ_rRb=tw@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 08:35:27AM +0000, Tom Hukins wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 03:54:46PM -0700, James E Keenan via RT wrote:
>> > Thanks for the patches.
>>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>> > However, would it be possible for you to re-post them as
>> > *attachments*, either to an email or to a new post to the RT #120406
>> > GUI?  (And, preferably, one attachment for each patch.)

> I think its an issue at this end. The instructions suggest using
> git format-patch with the -attach option, which outputs the 0001-foo
> file with embedded MIME info. This is then included in the email that
> perlbug generates. However, since the email header itself doesn't include
> any relevant MIME headers, the email as a whole isn't interpreted
> as being MIME, and certainly my mail client (mutt) doesn't "see" the
> attachments in a test perlbug I just CC'ed to myself, and neither does RT.

> Now, whether RT used to be able to process these mis-formatted MIME
> emails, and since the recent upgrade to RT, has ceased to do so, I don't
> know. Can anyone with a better understanding of MIME or how things used to
> work chip in?

It does look as though the RT upgrade changed the handling of
attachments.  This one sent just before the upgrade:

https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=120330

has attachments visible both in RT and in what was forwarded to the
mailing list.  The attachments are displayed inline, but they are also
visible as attachments.

But as Dave notes, his test patch:

https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=120421

has the attachment, including the MIME header saying it is an
attachment, inlined.  The attachment is not visible as an attachment
in either RT or in what was forwarded to the list.

It it's possible to get the previous behavior back, I think that's
what we'd like to see.