Re: [perl #120386] av_len documentation

From:
Marc Lehmann
Date:
October 30, 2013 09:49
Re: [perl #120386] av_len documentation
Message ID:
20131030094803.GA3018@schmorp.de
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:31:10PM -0600, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> I thought it wrong to deprecate this, because I imagine that this is
> used all over the place, and it seems like a lot of, when you get
> down to it, unnecessary work to change them all (though doing so
> might lead to bug fixes as people discover that the code operates
> based on the function's old name rather than what it actually does).

It's only my opinion, but introducing two extra names without deprecating
(not: removing!) the original one does more harm than good. There are now
three av_len functions, and if av_len isn't deprecated, I will never use
the longer names. The longer names cause more work to type and more work
to think, because each time I encounter an av_top_index I have to think
"ah, that's av_len, I hope".

(I read a lot more code than I write, and I think thats quite typical for
a coder).

I agree that if av_len isn't deprecated, all three should share the same
documentation.

      ----==-- _       generation
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp@schmorp.de