Re: [perl #120386] av_len documentation

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 30, 2013 05:31
Re: [perl #120386] av_len documentation
Message ID:
5270999E.8040807@khwilliamson.com
On 10/28/2013 02:08 AM, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 10:48:07PM -0700, bulk88 via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
>>
>> Didn't KHW already fix this issue in these couple of commits earlier this year starting at http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/23aa77bc9fa488ace3ef1089104e999c23821171 ?
>
> If the idea is to deprecate it's use (which these changes kind of seem
> to want), why not simply document that, by explicitly asking not to use
> it in new code for example? Of course, for module authors it is always
> helpful to also have the information of which perl version introduced the
> alternative av_top_index and av_tindex.

I thought it wrong to deprecate this, because I imagine that this is
used all over the place, and it seems like a lot of, when you get down
to it, unnecessary work to change them all (though doing so might lead
to bug fixes as people discover that the code operates based on the
function's old name rather than what it actually does).

I wrote a patch to remove all uses of av_len from the core, but I never
pushed it, thinking it might be too controversial.  I could rescue it
from bit rot if people thought it were a good idea.