Re: Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
October 15, 2013 07:24
Re: Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'
Message ID:
CADED=K4_s0an4s233Pqvt-Hp-750z-=hhTzRdGnwrebwiaQgNA@mail.gmail.com
On 21 September 2013 18:25, Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:32:31PM +0200, Leon Timmermans wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > We have only three dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'
>> > in Porting/Maintainers.pl:
>> > Is there any reason for this, and for even having such an UPSTREAM status?
>> > So unless there are good reasons for this 'first-come' status that I'm
>> > missing then I would like to remove it and change the above three distros'
>> > status to 'cpan'.
>
> I would further request that UPSTREAM => undef be removed, or used to mean
> *exactly* "this module only lives in blead and is not dual-lifed".
> I am currently looking at the code in Module::CoreList to see if it is
> possible to conclusively determine a module's dual-life status from the
> information currently available -- I don't think the current UPSTREAM
> status is useful here.

The current usage is only intended to say that it hasn't been decided
whether UPSTREAM is blead or cpan. I agree that it would be good for
all the undef cases to be resolved one way or the other, and will
start a new thread regarding that soon.

As for determining which modules have a dual-life, doesn't the
DISTRIBUTION field effectively tell you that? I would expect that any
dual-lived module would have its DISTRIBUTION field set to something
[I haven't checked that out, but surely if any are missing then they
should simply be filled in?], and any core-only module clearly cannot
have its DISTRIBUTION field set to anything.