Re: Test-Harness and TAP-Harness in perl5 distribution

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 12, 2013 23:06
Re: Test-Harness and TAP-Harness in perl5 distribution
Message ID:
5259D5E7.6000709@khwilliamson.com
On 10/12/2013 07:47 AM, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM, James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net
> <mailto:jkeen@verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     Karl,
>
>     Examining your patch, I have to wonder whether the problem is in the
>     Test-Harness distribution or in the perl5 distribution.
>
>     + canonicalize("cpan/Test-__Harness/lib/TAP/Harness/__Beyond.pod")
>     => 1, #XXX temporary to get ble
>     + canonicalize("lib/TAP/Harness/__Beyond.pod") => 1, #XXX temporary
>     to get blead passing
>
>     We (i.e., the perl5 distribution) include what are, in effect, two
>     subsets of the Test-Harness distribution from CPAN.  Under
>     cpan/Test-Harness we have 66 files with basenames ending in .pod or
>     .pm.  Under lib/TAP we have 44 files with basenames ending in .pod
>     or .pm.
>
>     Why do we have two separate trees with parts of the Test-Harness
>     distribution in our distribution?
>
>     'Beyond.pod' occurs in each of those trees:
>
>     $ find . -type f -iname 'Beyond.pod'
>     ./cpan/Test-Harness/lib/TAP/__Harness/Beyond.pod
>     ./lib/TAP/Harness/Beyond.pod
>
>     ... but occurs only once in the MANIFEST:
>
>     $ grep -in 'Beyond.pod' MANIFEST
>     2199:cpan/Test-Harness/lib/__TAP/Harness/Beyond.pod
>
>     Why is that?
>

> During Build, files that are to be installed end up being copied from
> {cpan,dist,ext}/*/lib to lib/. TAP::Harness::Beyond is only in lib after
> «make» has been run.
>
> There are more .pod files in core that are linked to, I have no idea why
> this is suddenly a problem but I doubt the problem is in Test-Harness
> itself.
>
> Leon

I downloaded version 3.29 of Test::Harness from CPAN.  There are two
files in it which have the pod name "Test::Harness".   That is a bug in
it.  The reason this cropped up now is that Beyond.pod did not have a
NAME section at all until 3.29.  I submitted a bug report [rt.cpan.org
#89426].

There still is a problem in podcheck that this uncovered, and I will be
looking into that.