Re: Test-Harness and TAP-Harness in perl5 distribution (was: Buildfailed in Jenkins: perl5-threaded #2920)

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
October 12, 2013 13:48
Re: Test-Harness and TAP-Harness in perl5 distribution (was: Buildfailed in Jenkins: perl5-threaded #2920)
Message ID:
CAHhgV8htHQGahm+3bf68NqKDKkERP7nu5fjHUD6O6FO0AW+fKQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM, James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Examining your patch, I have to wonder whether the problem is in the
> Test-Harness distribution or in the perl5 distribution.
>
> + canonicalize("cpan/Test-**Harness/lib/TAP/Harness/**Beyond.pod") => 1,
> #XXX temporary to get ble
> + canonicalize("lib/TAP/Harness/**Beyond.pod") => 1, #XXX temporary to
> get blead passing
>
> We (i.e., the perl5 distribution) include what are, in effect, two subsets
> of the Test-Harness distribution from CPAN.  Under cpan/Test-Harness we
> have 66 files with basenames ending in .pod or .pm.  Under lib/TAP we have
> 44 files with basenames ending in .pod or .pm.
>
> Why do we have two separate trees with parts of the Test-Harness
> distribution in our distribution?
>
> 'Beyond.pod' occurs in each of those trees:
>
> $ find . -type f -iname 'Beyond.pod'
> ./cpan/Test-Harness/lib/TAP/**Harness/Beyond.pod
> ./lib/TAP/Harness/Beyond.pod
>
> ... but occurs only once in the MANIFEST:
>
> $ grep -in 'Beyond.pod' MANIFEST
> 2199:cpan/Test-Harness/lib/**TAP/Harness/Beyond.pod
>
> Why is that?

During Build, files that are to be installed end up being copied from
{cpan,dist,ext}/*/lib to lib/. TAP::Harness::Beyond is only in lib after
«make» has been run.

There are more .pod files in core that are linked to, I have no idea why
this is suddenly a problem but I doubt the problem is in Test-Harness
itself.

Leon