Re: Can we "won't fix" bug reports for deprecated features?

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
October 7, 2013 23:54
Re: Can we "won't fix" bug reports for deprecated features?
Message ID:
20131007235400.26562.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 10/7/13 3:57 PM, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 11:37:17AM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
>> I noticed an RT ticket for a segfault still in blead for 'use encoding'.
>>    Since that feature is slated for removal, it's not worth expending
>> effort to fix bugs in it.  Can we close such tickets now, or do we wait
>> until the feature is gone?
>
> It's bothering me that this opens up the possibility of duplicate reports.
> It's also the case that even things that we're going to remove are still
> genuine bugs, and so even though we're not actively investigating them, we
> might still fix them because of fixing some other bug.
>
> My immediate reaction is that maybe they ought to be changed to status
> "stalled", and the ticket made a child of the meta ticket for the release
> that is due to remove the feature. And when that release is made, the bugs
> are resolved as "won't fix" at that time.

That's an interesting suggestion.  My impression is that currently no
one pays any attention to the Stalled queue.  I probably look at the
backlog as much as anyone, but even I focus on New + Open and look at
Stalled only once a year.

So stipulating that a ticket should be moved to the Stalled queue if and
only if it is tied to a meta ticket might make the Stalled queue
worthwhile.  Currently, it's the limbo of RT queues.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan