Re: Can we "won't fix" bug reports for deprecated features?

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 7, 2013 19:57
Re: Can we "won't fix" bug reports for deprecated features?
Message ID:
20131007195713.GJ66035@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 11:37:17AM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
> I noticed an RT ticket for a segfault still in blead for 'use encoding'.
>   Since that feature is slated for removal, it's not worth expending
> effort to fix bugs in it.  Can we close such tickets now, or do we wait
> until the feature is gone?

It's bothering me that this opens up the possibility of duplicate reports.
It's also the case that even things that we're going to remove are still
genuine bugs, and so even though we're not actively investigating them, we
might still fix them because of fixing some other bug.

My immediate reaction is that maybe they ought to be changed to status
"stalled", and the ticket made a child of the meta ticket for the release
that is due to remove the feature. And when that release is made, the bugs
are resolved as "won't fix" at that time.

Also, segfaults are a bit bad. That's somewhat more extreme than just
"wrong result" or "threw an exception when it should not".
So maybe there are different answers for different things.

Nicholas Clark