NWCLARK TPF grant report #102

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 3, 2013 13:44
Subject:
NWCLARK TPF grant report #102
Message ID:
20131003134406.GJ4940@plum.flirble.org
A fun time was had by all in Kiev -- http://act.yapc.eu/ye2013/

As a little somewhat off-topic digression - it turns out that it's quite hard
to change Ukrainian Hryvnia back into your local currency. Apparently you need
to get a special form to do it, which seems to be about as common as a Ryanair
refund.

Given that quite a few of us aren't that likely to return to Ukraine any
time soon, it implies that there's quite a lot of paper money sitting around
various Perl monger's desks, drawers etc, not earning its keep. For each
individual it's not much in value, but I suspect that all together it adds
up to a few thousand Pounds/Euros/Dollars etc. Meanwhile, the Ukrainian
central bank is very happy about all currency it got in return for selling
us its not particularly pretty bits of paper.*

So I thought that it would be a good idea if we put the notes carefully to one
side, and then all took them to Sophia next year, where at YAPC::Europe 2014
someone from Kiev can come with a big bucket, collect the money, and take it
back to do useful things with it.

Otherwise the central bankers win. And we don't want that. :-(

Nicholas Clark

* As far as pretty goes, I like Swiss Francs and Dutch Guilders best. But I
  don't have much day-to-day need for either, even the one that is still
  legal tender.