[perl #120047] perl should enable "$_" for use before calling subs

From:
Linda Walsh via RT
Date:
September 30, 2013 06:49
Subject:
[perl #120047] perl should enable "$_" for use before calling subs
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-31239-1380523737-627.120047-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Sep 29 22:19:51 2013, plokinom@gmail.com wrote:

> It looks hilariously bad on all levels: design, documentation
> (missing/wrong/bad content, spelling, formatting), code, indentation,
> formatting, general understanding of perl. (In my quick skim I only
> found one feature that directly contradicts the documentation but
> there
> may be more.)
----
At least I try to file bugs against things I find wrong in perl instead
of bragging about how poorly everything is without trying to do
something about it.  You are giving no input, and your opinion is
weighted by the amount of input you give =>0.  Given your input, now I
know I am doing something right.

But in light of forcing sprintf and printf to use incompatible argument
formats and needing a specialized command "say" to tack on line
feeds...?  Or um, how do they deal with "undef" in the input stream?  Do
they put out what they have and tell you were the undef is?  Or do they
abort the output and point at a line where multiple variables are?

As for a feature contradicting docs -- well, I can't help it if the code
gets fixed faster than the documentation -- I have so many helpers, it's
hard to keep track of everything.... v. how many people are working on
perl again?...you expect to embarrass me by anything that you would
find?  Um, log: remove from own eye before attempting to remove spec
from someone else's...

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: rejected