Re: Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'

From:
Karen Etheridge
Date:
September 21, 2013 17:25
Re: Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'
Message ID:
20130921172508.GC774@tequila
On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:32:31PM +0200, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
> > We have only three dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'
> > in Porting/Maintainers.pl:
> > Is there any reason for this, and for even having such an UPSTREAM status?
> > So unless there are good reasons for this 'first-come' status that I'm
> > missing then I would like to remove it and change the above three distros'
> > status to 'cpan'.

I would further request that UPSTREAM => undef be removed, or used to mean
*exactly* "this module only lives in blead and is not dual-lifed".
I am currently looking at the code in Module::CoreList to see if it is
possible to conclusively determine a module's dual-life status from the
information currently available -- I don't think the current UPSTREAM
status is useful here.

I have been considering patching to add an explicit is_dual_life function,
but I'm not sure if additional data needs to be added to
Porting/Maintainers.pl to be able to determine this.