[perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 18, 2013 23:50
Subject:
[perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1379548223-518.5844-15-0@perl.org
On Tue May 08 12:02:40 2012, hv wrote:
> Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> :> Perhaps there's a less ridiculous option that causes a build
> failure.
> :
> :Likely. But your example suggests to me that *mini*perl should ignore
> all of
> :these, as they aren't* used by the build process, and that the
> invocations for
> :./perl should explicitly clear them all.
> :
> :(Which isn't too hard actually, as ./perl is, or should be, invoked
> :consistently throughout the Makefile with a macro that sets up
> :"LD_LIBRARY_PATH" etc)
> :
> :If this idea seems sane, an no-one else beats me to it, I'll try to
> do it in
> :the next couple of months.
>
> I think by "should ignore all of these" you're saying "ignore anything
> in
> PERL5OPT" (or possibly "PERL5OPT and friends").
>
> If so, please consider whether it is worth providing a mechanism to
> specify
> the value to use for PERL5OPT (resp. "... and friends") for the
> miniperl
> build as a get-out clause.
>
> I do not have a use for this myself, so I do not request it; but I
> imagine,
> should it be of use, it would be easier to make that change now than
> to try
> and restore the facility in a user-controllable form later.
>
> Hugo

Nicholas, do you think we should proceed with this?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open