[perl #112760] mkdir in Perl 5.8.8 Fails to Set the Sticky Bit on FreeBSD 7.1

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 18, 2013 23:33
Subject:
[perl #112760] mkdir in Perl 5.8.8 Fails to Set the Sticky Bit on FreeBSD 7.1
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1379547224-561.112760-15-0@perl.org
On Sat May 12 00:18:14 2012, aristotle wrote:
> * Tony Cook <tony@develop-help.com> [2012-05-08 01:40]:
> > This isn't a perl bug, I'm not sure it's worthwhile working around
> > this limitation on BSDs.
>
> To me it would seem that it is. Dealing with this limitation in Perl
> code requires monkey code to be added to every user program, and for it
> to get added requires toes getting stubbed on this bug first. Working
> around it at the interpreter level would allow user code to pretend that
> all is right in the world.
>
> At the perl level it can be fixed with an #ifdef protecting a chmod
> guarded by a bit check. So the workaround is extremely cheap and even
> then incurs a penalty only for those who need it; and it can easily be
> dropped if and when FreeBSD is ever fixed, but at the same time breaks
> nothing if it isn’t removed promptly – so maintenance burden is minimal.
>
> There seems to be essentially zero downside to adding the workaround.
>
> At the same time I can’t see any upside in not adding it and thereby
> pushing the complexity out into Perl programs. Did I miss any benefit
> here? Does what I missed outweigh the above benefits of doing it at the
> interpreter level?
>
> Regards,

Tony, Aristotle:

Are there outstanding issues in this ticket that need addressing?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open