[perl #23333] thread hangs when accessing certain shared blessed hash refs while running RC4 (fine in RC3 and earlier)

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 18, 2013 23:03
Subject:
[perl #23333] thread hangs when accessing certain shared blessed hash refs while running RC4 (fine in RC3 and earlier)
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1379545370-1224.23333-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Aug 15 12:29:11 2003, jack.steadman@smarterliving.com wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from jack.steadman@smarterliving.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.34 running under perl v5.8.1.

> [Please enter your report here]
>
> I've been developing a large threaded application that makes extensive
> use
> of shared blessed references.  Prior to 5.8.1 RC4, the blessings did
> not
> withstand an assignment to another shared hash or array - this is
> fine, I've
> worked around that.  As of RC4 blessed references seem to be retaining
> their
> blessings after an assignment and across threads, but now in certain
> cases
> trying to access these references in any way causes the accessing
> thread to
> hang.  For example,
>
> my %stuff;
> my $object = MyPackage->new();
>
> $stuff{'foo'} = $object;
> ## RC3 and earlier: $stuff{'foo'} is now just a HASH ref
> ## RC4: $stuff{'foo'} is still a MyPackage
>
> my $type = ref($stuff{'foo'});
> ## RC3: $type is HASH
> ## RC4: thread hangs here

Discussion in this RT petered out over ten years ago.  The original
report was confused as to which build of Perl it was finding a problem
in.  The last commenter in the thread, Nick Ing-Simmons, has passed away.

Could someone familiar with threads review this RT and let us know
whether there is any specific problem mentioned in the thread that still
needs action?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---