RFC: APIfying Perl_finalize_optree()

From:
Brian Fraser
Date:
September 18, 2013 01:10
RFC: APIfying Perl_finalize_optree()
Message ID:
CA+nL+nYnzQVqygfsJ1HTk_JAeogdyPJ=jdx6DNr8wgEY1hueUw@mail.gmail.com
Howdy all!

I'm thinking that finalize_optree, or some part of its functionality,
should be made part of the public API. finalize_optree() is essential if
you're constructing your own optree[*] and care about threads; without it,
for example, constant SVOPs are shared between threads rather than stored
in the thread-local pad, which causes all sort of insanity.

I don't really care about the warnings that finalize_optree generates, so
perhaps a more generalized "make this optree thread-safe" function is
needed?

I can do the legwork for this if no one objects to the idea.

* Or, in my case, snatching already constructed trees that haven't been
finished yet.