Re: metaconfig tweak? (was Re: [perl #7586] STDOUT is not flushedbefore exec().)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
September 16, 2013 10:39
Re: metaconfig tweak? (was Re: [perl #7586] STDOUT is not flushedbefore exec().)
Message ID:
20130916103942.GS66035@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:27:45PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:20:24 +0100, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:09:02AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> >
> > > It turns out* that $Config{fflushNULL} on HP-UX is *STILL* undef, because
> > > fflush(NULL) wrongly closes STDIN if STDIN is a pipe (which is what the
> > > Configure test probes for).
> >
> > Is it worth documenting the specific failure case more clearly? Something
> > like this?
>
> YES!
>
> Do you want to commit that yourself?
> Follow-up steps are to regenerate the files in the perl repo and
> Porting/glossary. Not too much work once you know the tantra. I can do
> that now if you want

I think this time I'd prefer it if you did it. My head is rather full with
a lot of other things.

If I looks like I'm getting into a regular habit of patching Configure
then I'll try to figure out how to do it myself (and check that I'm getting
it right)

But in particular I'm not sure when I'm patching local units, versus when
I would be about to make the first change to an unmodified upstream unit.

Nicholas Clark