[perl #8965] Tie'd STDIN overwritten by open F, "<-"

From:
Brian Fraser via RT
Date:
September 13, 2013 01:26
Subject:
[perl #8965] Tie'd STDIN overwritten by open F, "<-"
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1379035585-688.8965-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Sep 12 17:45:20 2013, jkeenan wrote:
> On Fri May 25 18:58:02 2012, Hugmeir wrote:
> > On Thu Jun 16 16:47:30 2011, chorny wrote:
> > > http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=8965

> > > This program:
> > > use 5.010;
> > > use IO::Handle;
> > > say \*STDIN;
> > > open FOO, "<-";
> > > say \*FOO;
> > >
> > > shows that STDIN and FOO are 2 different Perl objects.
> > > I suppose 'open FOO, "<-"' means 'open FOO, "<&=STDIN"', this means
> > > different Perl filehandle for same OS filehandles and tie works
only on
> > > Perl filehandles.
> > >

> > I agree; Moreso since tied filehandles may have nothing to do with
> > actual file descriptors; e.g. a tied FH with a FILENO method can return
> > any fileno it wants. So I think this ticket should be rejected.
> >
> > --hugmeir
>

> Hugmeir:  No one has responded to you in 15 months.  Would you like to
> close the ticket?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

Will do, thank you for keeping track of these!

--hugmeir

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open