[perl #36380] Re-order interpvar.h/embedvar.h to shrink the interpreter struct

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 13, 2013 00:40
Subject:
[perl #36380] Re-order interpvar.h/embedvar.h to shrink the interpreter struct
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1379032847-514.36380-15-0@perl.org
On Sat May 26 18:26:14 2012, jkeenan wrote:
> On Tue Jul 05 10:59:49 2005, ni-s wrote:
> > Nicholas Clark <perl5-porters@perl.org> writes:
> > >
> > >It would seem a good idea to re-order this and prune the odd unused
> >    entries.
> > >thrdvar.h has this comment:
> > >
> > >/* Important ones in the first cache line (if alignment is done
> >    right) */
> > >
> > >so clearly some of the current ordering is important.
> >
> > I agree with the idea of re-ordering.
> > I suspect the comment was wishful thinking (on my part? - 'twas I
> > that invented the xxxxvar.h).
> >
> > The xxxvar.h stuff was to allow olde global variables and multiplicty
> >    etc.
> > via pointer to share source. I am (still) curious as to how much speed
> > gain the global variables give us. Most RISCs (which can't do
> > 32-bit immediate) will access a globals via a register anyway.
> > So I think most gain will come on x86 where explicit pointer
> > adds to register preasure...
> >

> > >Nicholas Clark
> > >

> Nicholas:  Should we still be considering the fix you suggested in
this RT?

> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

Nicholas: Should we still be considering the fix you suggested in this RT?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open