Re: Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
September 11, 2013 20:33
Re: Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'
Message ID:
CAHhgV8hewSQmuBPLLxdwRWTnqEVUb5wb1YNjGNGB5xYX2pfC6g@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Steve Hay <steve.m.hay@googlemail.com>wrote:

> We have only three dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'
> in Porting/Maintainers.pl:
>
> ExtUtils::MakeMaker (BINGOS)
> Unicode::Collate (SADAHIRO)
> Unicode::Normalize (SADAHIRO)
>
> Is there any reason for this, and for even having such an UPSTREAM status?
>
> I believe that all three are normally patched upstream and then merged
> into blead after being released to CPAN (*), which is what the UPSTREAM =>
> 'cpan' status is for.
>
> If any changes are urgently required in blead, e.g. to fix build failures
> or extinguish black smoke, then we already have a mechanism for coping with
> that: apply the change to blead and send a rt.cpan.org ticket upstream
> requesting that the patch be merged into a new CPAN release.  Hopefully
> that will not be too long in coming, and in the meantime the affected files
> will be marked as CUSTOMIZED in Porting/Maintainers.pl.
>
> So unless there are good reasons for this 'first-come' status that I'm
> missing then I would like to remove it and change the above three distros'
> status to 'cpan'.
>
> Comments?

In the past, ExtUtils::MakeMaker often had a slow release cycle where
patching blead before cpan got released was a sensible thing. Given the
current release frequency, I don't see the point of keeping it first-come.
Kudos to BinGOs, really.

Leon