Re: [perl #113824] Regexp error messages are not UTF8-clean

From:
Brian Fraser
Date:
September 9, 2013 20:59
Re: [perl #113824] Regexp error messages are not UTF8-clean
Message ID:
CA+nL+nZDrbUdhHD5_6DW-cWrHAuVkn6oJSqmCrrOQ1ZjQgycAQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Brian Fraser <fraserbn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Father Chrysostomos via RT <
> perlbug-comment@perl.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri Aug 30 09:27:47 2013, Hugmeir wrote:
>> > Thank you for the UTF8f format, Father C! It was all that was needed to
>> > wrap up this ticket.
>> > The linked branch[*] fixes the error messages from regcomp.c.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Could you update t/porting/diag.t to handle vFAIL, (...) ?  Or is there
>> a better way?
>>
>> I wonder whether vFAIL4 could be defined in terms of UTF8fARG itself.
>> That would keep diag.t simpler and avoid the extra APPLY thingies.
>>

> That vFAIL4 idea was pretty much the way, but rather than redefining
> vFAIL4, I added a vFAIL2utf8f macro which does the right thing. With that,
> modifying diag.t was quite simple.
>
> Unfortunately, I ran into another issue while testing this, so this can't
> be merged yet. The latest commit in the branch, which changes S_nextchar to
> use UTF8SKIP, causes sporadic test failures on my Mac with both gcc and
> clang, but works fine on Ubuntu. I haven't been able to figure this one out
> yet.

I couldn't resolve that, so I've reverted that commit and made a more
localized fix for the "Switch condition not recognized" error, which is
also forward-compatible in case nextchar is ever modified, for good, to use
UTF8SKIP.
Short of any other problems cropping up, this should be ready for merging.