Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
September 9, 2013 20:07
Subject:
Dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come'
Message ID:
CADED=K5nzTO3BLhzCX4_mfZOhBx5LEV93FeqFq-uJDADH=O=UA@mail.gmail.com
We have only three dual-lived CPAN distros with UPSTREAM => 'first-come' in
Porting/Maintainers.pl:

ExtUtils::MakeMaker (BINGOS)
Unicode::Collate (SADAHIRO)
Unicode::Normalize (SADAHIRO)

Is there any reason for this, and for even having such an UPSTREAM status?

I believe that all three are normally patched upstream and then merged into
blead after being released to CPAN (*), which is what the UPSTREAM =>
'cpan' status is for.

If any changes are urgently required in blead, e.g. to fix build failures
or extinguish black smoke, then we already have a mechanism for coping with
that: apply the change to blead and send a rt.cpan.org ticket upstream
requesting that the patch be merged into a new CPAN release.  Hopefully
that will not be too long in coming, and in the meantime the affected files
will be marked as CUSTOMIZED in Porting/Maintainers.pl.

So unless there are good reasons for this 'first-come' status that I'm
missing then I would like to remove it and change the above three distros'
status to 'cpan'.

Comments?

(*) The Git history of the updates to each of these distros in blead shows
this:
http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/history/HEAD:/cpan/ExtUtils-MakeMaker
http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/history/HEAD:/cpan/Unicode-Collate
http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/history/HEAD:/cpan/Unicode-Normalize