Re: [perl #70203] The instructions for patching Configure could usea bit of an update

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
September 7, 2013 16:18
Re: [perl #70203] The instructions for patching Configure could usea bit of an update
Message ID:
20130907181742.7a5c5abb@pc09.procura.nl
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:07:04 -0700, "James E Keenan via RT"
<perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:

> On Wed Nov 04 23:51:57 2009, hmbrand wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:29:08 -0500, Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com>
> > wrote:

> > git, not sourceforge.

> > already

> > > Apologies! My statement was about:
> > >
> > > # Note: this Configure script was generated automatically. Rather
> > than
> > > # working with this copy of Configure, you may wish to get
> > metaconfig.
> > > # The dist package (which contains metaconfig) is available via SVN:
> > > #     svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dist/trunk/dist
> > > #
> > > #
> > > # Though this script was generated by metaconfig, it is OK to send
> > > # patches against it. It's up to the Configure pumpkin to backport
> > > # the patch to the metaunits if it is accepted.
> > > # See Porting/pumpkin.pod for more information on metaconfig.
> > >
> > > in blead's "Configure"
> >
> > Ah, correct. I will address that shortly!
> >

> Has this question about how/where we say changes to Configure need to be
> committed been addressed?

I changed that to
--8<---
# Note: this Configure script was generated automatically. Rather than
# working with this copy of Configure, you may wish to get metaconfig.
# The dist package (which contains metaconfig) is available via SVN:
#     svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/dist/code/trunk/dist
#
# Though this script was generated by metaconfig from metaunits, it is
# OK to send patches against Configure itself. It's up to the Configure
# pumpkin to backport the patch to the metaunits if it is accepted.
# For more information on patching Configure, see pod/perlhack.pod
#
# The metaunits are also available from the public git repository:
#     http://perl5.git.perl.org/metaconfig.git/ or
#     $ git clone git://perl5.git.perl.org/metaconfig.git metaconfig
#
# See Porting/pumpkin.pod for more information on metaconfig.
-->8---

back in

commit 7f5516d11013641bb723aba27b6cb26c845b096c
Author: H.Merijn Brand <merijn@nb09.procura.nl>
Date:   Thu Nov 5 15:32:11 2009 +0100

    Mention git repo in Configure's header

I think that the *middle* section is enough, right?

> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

using perl5.00307 .. 5.19   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE