Goodbye to the 3b1

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
September 7, 2013 15:59
Subject:
Goodbye to the 3b1
Message ID:
20130907155924.GB18975@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
Inspired by the recent archaeology in old #ifdef's, I noted that perl
still ships with hints files (and a replacement compiler script!) for
the AT&T Unix PC (aka 7300 or 3b1).  That script won't work anymore,
since the compiler didn't understand ANSI C.  I'm pretty sure the last
successful build I had on that platform was 5.001m.

Normally, I think we ought to put in a "will-be-removed" type notice in
one version, and then actually remove it in the next, but in this case
I think that's just wasting time.  The beefiest 3b1 only had 2M of RAM
(mine only had 1M) and a 67 MB hard drive (I think mine was 40 MB).
You can't even unpack perl-5.18.0 on a disk that small, let alone build
it in that little bit of RAM.  I think we removed the only 3b1-specific
bits in Configure (a cppsymbols entry) about 10 years ago.

In commit 7b0e9f1, I removed the 3b1 files, and also added appropriate
entries to pod/perldelta.pod and pod/perlport.pod.  (This entailed
starting a new EOL section in perlport for 5.20, which led to some
additional churn.)

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu