Re: [perl #113824] Regexp error messages are not UTF8-clean

From:
Brian Fraser
Date:
September 7, 2013 09:25
Re: [perl #113824] Regexp error messages are not UTF8-clean
Message ID:
CA+nL+naRkOJeB+Ar8XYJPkOgmNf6ENw45rKSVZKGLsVwJC4AwA@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Father Chrysostomos via RT <
perlbug-comment@perl.org> wrote:

> On Fri Aug 30 09:27:47 2013, Hugmeir wrote:
> > Thank you for the UTF8f format, Father C! It was all that was needed to
> > wrap up this ticket.
> > The linked branch[*] fixes the error messages from regcomp.c.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Could you update t/porting/diag.t to handle vFAIL, (...) ?  Or is there
> a better way?
>
> I wonder whether vFAIL4 could be defined in terms of UTF8fARG itself.
> That would keep diag.t simpler and avoid the extra APPLY thingies.

That vFAIL4 idea was pretty much the way, but rather than redefining
vFAIL4, I added a vFAIL2utf8f macro which does the right thing. With that,
modifying diag.t was quite simple.

Unfortunately, I ran into another issue while testing this, so this can't
be merged yet. The latest commit in the branch, which changes S_nextchar to
use UTF8SKIP, causes sporadic test failures on my Mac with both gcc and
clang, but works fine on Ubuntu. I haven't been able to figure this one out
yet.