Re: [perl #113994] [META] seek and tell operate on bytes

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
September 7, 2013 08:22
Re: [perl #113994] [META] seek and tell operate on bytes
Message ID:
20130907102154.3d3edcea@pc09.procura.nl
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 09:51:14 +0200, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that there exist encodings where we cannot so easily
> > determine our position (whether we are mid-sequence or not).  I don't know
> > of
> > any off hand, though.  What about those?  I really think the answer is
> > going to
> > be along the lines of "the layer can try to help tell you that you messed
> > up,
> > but don't *do* that.
>

> iso-2022 is the most notorious one, though I'm not sure people use it
> outside of MIME. Shift-JIS is another one. Though even UTF-16 can have the
> issue if you're silly enough to do an odd seek.

iso-6937/2 is another. And I never found tuits to make that into
Encoding

> This is all very "Doctor, it hurts when I press here" to me.
>
> Leon

using perl5.00307 .. 5.19   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE