[perl #92246] Perl 5.14 does not allow "internal" setting of $ENV{'PERL_SIGNALS'}

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 7, 2013 02:40
Subject:
[perl #92246] Perl 5.14 does not allow "internal" setting of $ENV{'PERL_SIGNALS'}
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1378521632-1530.92246-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Aug 26 22:57:53 2011, sprout wrote:
> On Sun Jun 05 09:50:25 2011, spectre@floodgap.com wrote:
> > A common idiom, at least in my code, is to have the script itself set
> > $ENV{'PERL_SIGNALS'} = "unsafe", such as in BEGIN { }, so that I don't
> > have
> > to pollute my environment with it ordinarily and the scripts that want
> > this
> > can set it themselves. This works fine in 5.8, 5.10 and 5.12. It does
> > not
> > work in 5.14; it requires that I already have the variable set before
> > the
> > script is executed, or the value is not seen and "safe" signals are
> > used.
> >
> > Although the argument could be made that this was not designed to be
> > set at
> > runtime, modules such as Perl::Unsafe::Signals are certainly doing
> > that
> > already (just through XS and PL_signals):
> >
> > 	http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/RGARCIA/Perl-Unsafe-Signals-
> > 0.02/Signals.xs
> >
> > I have not evaluated this module specifically with 5.14, but its use
> > does
> > not appear uncommon.
> >
> > A quick scan through mg.c does not show anywhere that PL_signals is
> > exposed,
> > unlike, say, $^H. Therefore there is no replacement in 5.14 for this
> > lost
> > functionality.
> >
> > I would like to request the old behaviour be reinstated for backward
> > compatibility.
> >
> > Thanks for your consideration.
>
> Looking at the signal-handling code in 5.12, I cannot see how this ever
> worked as you stated.  But I could be misreading the code.  If you could
> provide a test script to demonstrate the difference in behaviour, I
> could do a binary search and find out which commit it was.

The OP has not responded to Father C.'s question in more than two years.
 Leon Timmermans was quite skeptical of the OP's request.

Is there any reason we should keep this ticket open?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open