[perl #66584] Devel::Peek fails 2 tests when perl is built with NO_PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 31, 2013 01:16
Subject:
[perl #66584] Devel::Peek fails 2 tests when perl is built with NO_PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1377911777-1867.66584-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Dec 11 10:27:51 2011, jkeenan wrote:
> On Sun Jun 14 18:20:59 2009, sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au wrote:
> >
> > Not sure of the approved way of building perl with
> > NO_PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV on
> > Win32.
> > I simply placed a '#define NO_PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV' at the beginning of
> > perl.h.
> >
> > Tests 21 and 23 of ext/Devel/Peek/t/Peek.t are the only tests that
> > failed
> > during the running of the test suite. The output I get for those 2
> > tests is
> > given below.
> >
> > Not sure if the garbage (for want of a better word) in the "expected"
> > output
> > is part of the failure, but I note that the "got" output terminates
> > with:
> >
> > #       REFCNT = 1
> > #       FLAGS = (IOK,NOK,pIOK,pNOK)
> > #       IV = 456
> > #       NV = 456
> > #       PV = 0
> >
> > whereas the "expected" output terminates with:
> >
> > #       REFCNT = 1
> > #       FLAGS = \(IOK,pIOK\)
> > #       IV = 456\Z)/
> >
> > Anyway, here's the full output for those tests:
> > [snip]
>
> It seems to me that there are two, connected issues raised in this ticket.
>
> One is the general problem of how one would build Perl with
> 'NO_PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV' and the circumstances where one would want to do
> that.
>
> The other is any Win32-specific problem, such as getting tests to pass
> once we have figured out how to build with this option.
>
> For the reference of anyone who can address this ticket, here's some
> relevant source code:
>
> from perl.h:
> ###
> #ifndef NO_PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV
> #define PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV      /* We like our integers to stay
integers. */
> #endif
> ###
>
> ... and this comments precedes several tests in ext/Devel-Peek/t/Peek.t
> ###
> # If perl is built with PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV then maths is done as integers
> # where possible and this scalar will be an IV. If NO_PERL_PRESERVE_IVUV
> then
> # maths is done in floating point always, and this scalar will be an NV.
> # ([NI]) captures the type, referred to by \1 in this regexp and $type for
> # building subsequent regexps.
> ###
>
> Rob, have you had any further experience with this bug since originally
> filing the ticket?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Jim Keenan

There has been no further discussion in this ticket since I last posted
twenty months ago.

I am taking the ticket for the purpose of closing it within 7 days
unless there is further discussion.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---