Re: [perl #119189] Bleadperl v5.19.2-276-g38be3d0 breaksLEONT/Const-Fast-0.014.tar.gz

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: [perl #119189] Bleadperl v5.19.2-276-g38be3d0 breaksLEONT/Const-Fast-0.014.tar.gz
Message ID:
20130826024327.GB26045@fernweh.plasmasturm.org
* Tony Cook <tony@develop-help.com> [2013-08-26 01:45]:
> mauve was a placeholder namespace to expose documented internals.
>
> On perl's which didn't expose those internals they could be
> implemented as XS or pure perl, and so would be available on any perl
> as:
>
>   use mauve qw(reftype);
>
> which would use the internal or XS/PP implementation depending on what
> was available.
>
> This would allow us to expose functions which probably should be
> exposed (like reftype perhaps) without cluttering the operator or
> global namespace, and possibly allow for some optimizations (eg.
> replacing the call with an operator.)
>
> Unfortunately it turned into an annoying bikeshed over the name, which
> AFAIK was never intended to be the final name, so it was dropped.

It wasn’t the name alone, but yeah.

I think that describes the point of mauve poorly, though. The idea was
to provide core implementations of a number of functions mainly from
Scalar::Util, which would not require loading a module (and since this
was a clean break these functions could also fix the niggly API design
problems of the Scalar::Util functions), which Scalar::Util would then
become a wrapper around (providing the old worse interface) where mauve
was available.

Yves had the first inkling here:
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=AANLkTi=TCR8z+miH8T4j4Jzwq5ZmKh1mVSEuEbtQrSBE@mail.gmail.com

He started the fire:
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=AANLkTikHi8jbTshovEMQvdkROx8_JkrksaiqLpNDSDbB@mail.gmail.com

Unfortunately then-pumpking RGS didn’t like it at all:
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=AANLkTi=UHJ-1VMdZnh_KUrB=CTuageTErBGR1o728rGY@mail.gmail.com

So it went into quarantine:
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=871v8twxr8.fsf@tardis.home.perldition.org

And ended up being something people merely pined for…
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=20110427071804.GC6609@puppy
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/;msgid=CAOeq1c_Y=s6XeeP9TndE7RMqpcE60Yrinu5yzGO2YZ+DShfGCg@mail.gmail.com

Someday…