[perl #119459] Compilation error at /usr/share/perl/5.14/utf8_heavy.pl line 447

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 26, 2013 00:09
Subject:
[perl #119459] Compilation error at /usr/share/perl/5.14/utf8_heavy.pl line 447
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1377475769-259.119459-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Aug 25 08:30:00 2013, thetaworld@gmail.com wrote:
> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> There must be error in core of Perl. I do have 7500 lines in the
> script. However, even a slightest change, like missing colon or
>    ampersand
> or syntax error may lead to following:
>
> Compilation error at /usr/share/perl/5.14/utf8_heavy.pl line 447.
>
> And that is not what should happen.
>
> Even just checking the syntax with perl -c script.pl gives above error
> message. It becomes impossible to know what is wrong in the script.
>    One
> has to go manualy and search for the syntax error as perl does not
>    tell
> what was the real error message.

You have not provided us with any information which we can use to help
you.  You have some compilation error in your program.  I have a hunch
it's utf8-related, but other than that I can only speculate.

I recommend the following:

* 7500 lines is too long for almost any program to be effectively
debuggable or even understandable.  Where possible, extract blocks of
code into subroutines, then place those subroutines into modules whose
compilation you can test independently of each other.

* Seek help by posting on a mailing list more geared than this one is
toward debugging particular programs.  perlmonks.org is one possibility.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new