Re: [perl #119189] Bleadperl v5.19.2-276-g38be3d0 breaksLEONT/Const-Fast-0.014.tar.gz

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
Re: [perl #119189] Bleadperl v5.19.2-276-g38be3d0 breaksLEONT/Const-Fast-0.014.tar.gz
Message ID:
20130825234338.GA28439@mars.tony.develop-help.com
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 07:16:13PM -0700, Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
> On Wed Aug 21 11:00:59 2013, demerphq wrote:
> > On 21 August 2013 17:21, Father Chrysostomos via RT
> > <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:

> officially

> > > Suggestions?
> >
> > Mauve. :-)
>
> OK, let’s use this as an opportunity to discuss it.  Where was the last
> thread on this (the one in which you complained about my cryptic response)?

mauve was a placeholder namespace to expose documented internals.

On perl's which didn't expose those internals they could be
implemented as XS or pure perl, and so would be available on any perl
as:

  use mauve qw(reftype);

which would use the internal or XS/PP implementation depending on what
was available.

This would allow us to expose functions which probably should be
exposed (like reftype perhaps) without cluttering the operator or
global namespace, and possibly allow for some optimizations
(eg. replacing the call with an operator.)

Unfortunately it turned into an annoying bikeshed over the name, which
AFAIK was never intended to be the final name, so it was dropped.

Tony