[perl #119191] "\c\" is a syntax error

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 25, 2013 02:19
Subject:
[perl #119191] "\c\" is a syntax error
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1377397148-1709.119191-15-0@perl.org
On Wed Aug 07 12:41:07 2013, sprout wrote:
> On Wed Aug 07 07:14:53 2013, mauke- wrote:
> > (This bug may be a duplicate but when I search RT for "\c\" I get 693
> >    pages of
> > no results.)
>
> RT ignores backslashes, which is annoying.
>
> I know I have seen this before, but I can’t find the ticket.  It may
> simply have been discussed on p5p.  It was a *long* time ago *Larry Wall
> was involved in the discussion.)  It was never fully resolved, though at
> the time I think everyone considered it a bug.  Just nobody know how to
> fix it.

If I recall correctly, Larry’s suggestion was for the first pass to
treat \c<X> (where X is any char) as a single entity to skip over, just
as \\ is skipped over.

That way "\c\" is control-backslash, "\c\\\" is control-backslash
followed by a backslash and "\c\\" is ‘Can't find string terminator...’.

Considering that \c\ anywhere inside a quoted string is completely
buggy, I think it is ok to change this.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---