Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
George Greer
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
alpine.LFD.2.03.1308202349100.1990@m-l.org
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, Jan Dubois wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>> Is there enough API in github to be able to easily code the right git
>> commands to grab the (anonymous?) branch created by the pull request, and
>> extract the patches to inject elsewhere? Without actually instructing
>> github to do the merge.
>
> It is trivial to fetch the code for pull requests into your local repo
> (using pull request #11 as a sample):
>
> $ git remote add github https://github.com/mirrors/perl.git
> $ git fetch github refs/pull/11/head:pr/11
> remote: Counting objects: 11, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
> remote: Total 8 (delta 6), reused 5 (delta 3)
> Unpacking objects: 100% (8/8), done.
> From https://github.com/mirrors/perl
> * [new ref]         refs/pull/11/head -> pr/11
> $ git checkout pr/11
> Switched to branch 'pr/11'
>
> And as long as you eventually push this commit back to blead, the pull
> request should be closed automatically (the SHA1 needs to remain for
> Github to recognize it automatically).

Is it only blead or any branch that retains the same SHA?

I could see transferring the pull requests to perl.git branches which
would get them out of GitHub pull request queue and somewhere people pay
some attention to.  (For the benefit of people not subscribed to the
commit mailing list a separate email to p5p could be sent notifying of the
branch created.)

Which brings up the question whether it is better for them to wait
attention in perlbug as patch form or wait attention in native form as a
perl.git repository branch?

--
George Greer