[perl #118693] No warning for undef'd variables returned from XS under -w

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 20, 2013 20:02
Subject:
[perl #118693] No warning for undef'd variables returned from XS under -w
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-1873-1377028937-80.118693-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Aug 20 13:01:19 2013, sprout wrote:
> On Sat Jun 29 18:52:15 2013, sprout wrote:
> > On Sat Jun 29 17:23:31 2013, public@khwilliamson.com wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a bug report for perl from khw@karl.(none),
> > > generated with the help of perlbug 1.39 running under perl 5.19.2.

> > > This is fallout from
> > > https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=115808
> > >
> > > Uupon error POSIX::setlocale is setting RETVAL to NULL.  According to
> > > Leon Timmermans, the char* return should typemap that to undef, but
> > > the
> > > ticket indicates no undef warning is generated:
> > >
> > > $ perl -wle 'use POSIX; print setlocale LC_ALL, "mtfnpy"'
> > >
> > > If I change the setlocale code to instead do an XSRETURN_UNDEF, the
> > > warning gets generated.
> > >
> > > Leon did some digging and says that 91bba347 suppresses the warnings
> > > for
> > > PADTMP SVs
> >
> > This is similar to the exception for read-only variables that I recently
> > removed from sv_force_normal.  It was hiding several bugs.
>
> Just like it in fact.  a1afd104, 1e21d011c and 25451ceff (the last one
> just pushed) fix bugs resulting from this.

Correction: It didn’t cause the bug that 25451ceff fixed, but hid it.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: resolved