Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
20130819190936.5892.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
David Golden wrote:
> I think git's email tools are sufficient (perhaps not on Win32, I'll
> admit), but my understanding of the problem is that RT can't cope with
> them in a useful way and so mangles the attachments. If/when that is
> fixed, this might be nearly moot.

On the contrary, git's email tools don't have a way of creating an
attachment that by itself can be fed straight to git-am.  The stuff is
always spread out between the subject and the body of the message.

The whole idea of feeding an entire mailbox entry to some other pro-
gram has been unrealistic since, what, the mid-90's?  Pretty much
anyone using a GUI e-mail client has to miss out on the ease that
git-send-email is supposed to afford.

Maybe we should hack perlbug to be able to generate patches when
run in a git directory (and actually attach them, instead of attach-
ing pieces of them).

> What I wonder is whether people who are actually reviewing and testing
> and applying patches would find PR's easier than email patches.

Not I!

> This could be as easy as a "perlpullreq" script that sends a properly
> formatted message to perlbug with a summary of the branch to pull and
> links to view/download it.

I started writing my response above before I finished reading your
message.  If perlpullreq could actually attach the patches, that would
be even better.