Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
CAD-TLz8t0OJ0P_bRibsCNn5g1xyRDORm5PeYuNfVdN84mY43YA@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:23:32AM -0700, Jan Dubois wrote:
>> And as long as you eventually push this commit back to blead, the pull
>> request should be closed automatically (the SHA1 needs to remain for
>> Github to recognize it automatically).
>
> Which implies that if the commit is rebased to avoid the trivial merge,
> that automatic close no longer works?

Yes, that is unfortunately (?) correct.  So either the PR author
rebases and makes a new PR, or you do a merge. On the plus side, this
maintains proper accountability. Rebasing and PR and still attributing
it to the original author could assign blame for a botched rebase to
the wrong person...

Anyways, you asked about a way to inspect a PR without letting GH do
the merge, and that was the main thing I wanted to show.  That the
closing of the PR happens automatically when you don't rebase the
commit is just a side benefit. :)

Cheers,
-Jan