Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
David Golden
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
CAOeq1c-D=d-3xthu43Vubkzx5E3pCvg372vvtp5T5Nbf7BK-Bg@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Christian Walde
<walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ether would like to use the github interface to CREATE AND SEND patches. If
> you take the time and compare the mechanisms this seems entirely rational to
> me, since quite frankly, from a human interface point of view, the current
> method to send patches is much too large and complicated.

I think git's email tools are sufficient (perhaps not on Win32, I'll
admit), but my understanding of the problem is that RT can't cope with
them in a useful way and so mangles the attachments. If/when that is
fixed, this might be nearly moot.

I agree pull requests are nicer.  I suspect that pull requests to the
list would get less review than inline patches.  I think that's a
legacy process issue for two reasons:

(a) People are used to reviewing patches in email

(b) People are too lazy^Wbusy to click a link to review a pull request

What I wonder is whether people who are actually reviewing and testing
and applying patches would find PR's easier than email patches.

If so, then I favor a system that helps those doing the hard work over
a system that helps those who merely kibbitz on emails.

If they don't really care which they get, then I favor a system that
makes submitting patches easier, even at the cost of casual, kibbitz
review on the list.

> For the ACCEPT, VALIDATE AND INTEGRATE phase you're entirely right that
> github issues should not be used.

If Github is available for PR's, then discussion will inevitably wind
up there and not on p5p.

If we're truly committed to working only on p5p, then my
recommendation is to do one of these:

(1) Get Github to shut off issues/PR's for the mirror

(2) Get Github to delete the mirror entirely; set up a "p5p"
organization on Github and maintain the mirror ourselves with
issues/PR's disabled.

I'll point out that #2 is pretty trivial to do.  Hooks would make it
nicer/faster, but even my crappy cron mirroring script I use for the
perl mirror I maintain in my github account would suffice.

Even with github PR's disabled, I favor exploring better ways to let
casual patchers submit tickets via a "manual" pull request.

This could be as easy as a "perlpullreq" script that sends a properly
formatted message to perlbug with a summary of the branch to pull and
links to view/download it.  (Ability to view depends on where someone
puts their PR, of course.  Github has easy branch/diff viewing.)

David

--
David Golden <xdg@xdg.me>
Twitter/IRC: @xdg