Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
20130819142648.GW2177@iabyn.com
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 04:14:39PM +0400, Victor Efimov wrote:
> Perhaps higher priority should be given to improving and refactoring of
> testsuite (that will help avoid regressions with code refactoring in the
> future). Also testsuite (mostly?) is in Perl, not in C

The test suite already consists of 0.5M tests spread over 2500 files.
Its not that there are gaping holes in the test suite (well there are the
occasional exceptions like \G, especially with s///), but that different
bits of perl interact with each over in so many mysterious and unexpected
ways.  I doubt that in general, people adding more tests would make much
difference.

There's certainly something to be said for occasionally profiling to check
the test suite's coverage of perls source; I don't think this has been
done seriously for a few years now (unless someone's doing it privately
and not telling anyone).

--
Justice is when you get what you deserve.
Law is when you get what you pay for.