Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
20130819123103.GN66035@plum.flirble.org

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 02:14:41PM +0200, Christian Walde wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 02:42:32 +0200, Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org>
> wrote:
>
> >> Unless it is discouraged, I would most likely start using this mechanism
> >> (pull requests to github) preferentially to send patches, as currently I
> >> find it rather a PITA to create a patch and submit it via perlbug, so
> >> for
> >> small fixes I usually don't bother.
>
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:26:04 +0200, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>
> > "push button merge" system
>
> There is a misunderstanding here.
>
> Ether would like to use the github interface to CREATE AND SEND patches.

I missed that. Guilty as charged. Thanks for correcting me.

> If you take the time and compare the mechanisms this seems entirely
> rational to me, since quite frankly, from a human interface point of view,

[agree]

> Meanwhile to create a pull request, all one does is push the branch to
> one's own fork and click a button.

> Isn't Perl all about "Make easy things easy and hard things possible."?

but I sort of ended up converging on this:

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 01:25:03PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> It also *ought* to be relatively easy to automate that whole "send it the
> right way" given that the git plumbing needed to figure out *what* to show
> in a pull request on a third party website is going to be the same git
> plumbing as needed to figure it out locally. But that is infinitely more
> work that something which exists already.

Hmm. Yes.

Is there enough API in github to be able to easily code the right git
commands to grab the (anonymous?) branch created by the pull request, and
extract the patches to inject elsewhere? Without actually instructing
github to do the merge.

Nicholas Clark