Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
20130819121130.GA30819@cancer.codesimply.com
* Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> [2013-08-19T06:26:04]
> The current implementation of pull requests sucks massively because it
> generates trivial merge commits, when it could avoid this.

Pull requests are great.  The merge button stinks.

> It also encourages merging without running tests.

Travis CI integration ameliorates that.

> My understanding was that both git and the Linux kernel implement code
> review quite successfully by mailing patches to the dev list. I think that
> Ricardo has been keeping his eye open for code review tools (but he'll have
> to confirm this or correct me when he's back.)

Confirmed, more another time.

> I don't think that it's really a toolchain problem that prevents us from
> having code review. It's a combination of a lack of an existing culture of
> doing this, a *massive* time constraint, and that the code is spread so
> thinly that the chance of finding a second person already familiar with the
> code is low.

I agree, but the other issue is that it's a pain and unusual, imho, for users
to have to build their branch into a patch series and send it in exactly the
right way.  "I pushed to a remote and told you where it is" is a ton easier.
It's what I tell people to do when I know I can review *right now* and everyone
seems happy when they can stick to that.  That's a large part of what makes
pull requests nice for submitters.

Museum time!

--
rjbs