[perl #119239] started out as doc clarification needed in 'eval...but...

From:
Linda Walsh via RT
Date:
August 15, 2013 19:43
Subject:
[perl #119239] started out as doc clarification needed in 'eval...but...
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1376595816-1387.119239-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Aug 13 19:11:01 2013, perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org wrote:
> * Linda Walsh <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2013-08-12T01:25:21]
> > 1) Doesn't it, at all, depend on the context of where it is
> > called?  I.e. if "use utf8", is in effect, and I say:
>
> All that utf8.pm does is indicate that your source code is encoded in
> UTF-8, so
> that if your source document has this:
>
>   use utf8;
>   my $band = "Queensr├┐che";
------
First, I want to be sure to start with saying the depth of your answer
was suburb -- didn't feel it slighted the [rambling] question in the
slightest.  Certainly even though I now reside on the west coast, I
can't disagree with the lilting UTF-8 examples you used.

Second, its hard for me to get into a head space to write a response
worthy as a successor to such while also addressing the issues that
still plagued my overfocused ADHD (a specific subtype of ADHD that is
the most difficult to treat as the meds that normally treat ADHD can
make the overfocused part worse), so realtime responses are difficult
for me at times.

Points) A) - "(to myself as much as anyone)" - use utf8 only applies to
source code not content strings, so my wonderings why the Japanese
INU(dog) YA(night) SHA(dividing point) came out "ok", were 1) due to it
being in content string, and (among other things) none of the chars
being in the range 0x80-0xff).

B) This part is still unclear (and is not really unicode related) but it
related to the scoping rules referred to obliquely as "the erratic, but
historical, behavior of affecting ''some'' [emphasis mine] outer file
scope that is still compiling.

The scoping rules of the eval were what had me curious and as to why
a 'our' scoped value wasn't seen inside either of the string evals
that would theoretically be inside the package that contains those
variables.

If I used a non-string (not really interpreted) eval, it seems to
reference the package vars... but why do the string evals not reference
the surrounding package vars? (or vars declared w/my in which the eval
is scoped)...

The scoping rules of the eval are unclear from the the text though
reading it -- maybe the specific piece I quoted was only talking about
scoping as related to UTF8?

Still have the question of why the string evals didn't see their package
scoped vars...

----
Hope this more explains the central issue, though I think any side UTF8
issues are likely, fully, if not entirely lyrically, explained...

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open