Re: the GitHub perl mirror

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: the GitHub perl mirror
Message ID:
CAHhgV8j6ygM=OXDXerG8n9LNOn_K9=Vwfz=fo29YXi04QFqzZg@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
<avarab@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a lot of incoming links to that repo (I use it as my main way
> for linking to perl5.git commits, amongst others), and it's got ~130
> forks and ~450 watchers on GitHub.
>
> It's had a grant total of 13 pull requests over 2 years. I think the
> value of it being there as-is even with pull requests enabled is *much
> greater* for giving perl exposure, not breaking people's watch lists &
> links than breaking all of that by having them remove the mirror.

I actually use it myself with some regularity when doing archeology.
It tends to provide a much more intuitive interface for than than the
command line tools (I figured out how to do that eventually, but git
is inconsistent enough that I have to trial-and-error it half of the
time).

Leon