[perl #117355] [lu]cfirst don't respect 'use bytes'

From:
Ricardo SIGNES via RT
Date:
August 12, 2013 02:57
Subject:
[perl #117355] [lu]cfirst don't respect 'use bytes'
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-2552-1376276213-830.117355-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Jul 14 23:54:35 2013, sprout wrote:
> > From the top of the pod in bytes.pm, added for 5.12.0:
> >
> > =head1 NOTICE
> >
> > This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and
> > has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the
> > innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string),
> > and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is
> > strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be
> > useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between
> > your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case,
> > you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation:
> > L<perluniintro>, L<perlunitut>, L<perlunifaq> and L<perlunicode>.
>
> What can we do to upgrade this to a deprecation?

I'm not sure.

The question is:  do we propose to allow bytes.pm to become an external library?  Can we do
this usefully, since bytes currently works (as I understand it) by tweaking $^H and letting CORE
sort out the rest?  Can its behavior be reimplemented as something entirely without core
support.  I think so, by making copies and downgrading.  (four arg substr won't be exactly that
simple, but should be doable.)

I haven't given this a lot of thought, but I think that if we can make bytes.pm ejectable, we
should do so.  It's okay if it gets slower, since we've been telling people for years that it's only a
debugging tool, if that.

Thoughts? Objections?

--
rjbs