Re: [perl #119217] Regarding errors in installation of perl

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
Re: [perl #119217] Regarding errors in installation of perl
Message ID:
20130811185113.GA2013@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 09:08:02AM -0700, Ganga Jeena wrote:
> # New Ticket Created by  Ganga Jeena
>

> Hi,
> I am installin perl -5.18.0 to a local directory in my home directory on
> linux server!
> Here is the error I get when i run "make" command
> I found many people have got similar errors. However, they suggest touch
> and timestamp change for Makefile.PL
> I tried and Realised I have to repeatedly change timestamp after make
> command.
> I was wondering if this problem has already been encountered and can be
> solved via some in built tricks.
> If yes, I request for a detailed solution !
> If not, It would be a blessing, if it is  tackled  in any future versions!

> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jeena/bin/perl-5.18.0_
> source/dist/Attribute-Handlers'
> Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
> Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
> make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1
> ../../miniperl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib" Makefile.PL "INSTALLDIRS=perl"
> "INSTALLMAN1DIR=none" "INSTALLMAN3DIR=none" "PERL_CORE=1"
> "LIBPERL_A=libperl.a"
> Writing Makefile for Attribute::Handlers
> ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
> ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==

Is your home directory a local directory, or is it mounted from a server?
I have seen this error pattern when the clocks for the client and server
are out of sync.  There is little perl can reliably do about such situations.

If you are unable to reconcile the client and server's notions of time,
a good workaround is often to try to build on a local filesystem.
Often /tmp is suitable.

I hope this helps,

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu